Regarding Mabel

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Regarding Mabel

Post by Brynne on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 7:39 pm

I'm sorry, Cinnamon Pearl, but mice don't usually recover from a massive weight loss like that. Something must be drastically wrong on the inside. I don't think that even a vet will be able to see it without tools such as CT scanners.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm

Oh.

Is there really nothing I can do? I'll bring her to another vet, or anything. Should I be giving her KMR? Using a heat pad? Please, just tell me

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 8:59 pm

I decided to put a heat pad under the tank and get some KMR ready, just in case. I made another thread on it, but just in case, does anyone know the best way to prep and administer KMR for a mouse?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 4:25 am

I know you probably don't want to hear it but I think you already know... that things aren't looking good for Mabel. That is a really dramatic weight loss. Usually when that happens, something is wrong on the inside like cancer or even something like hyperthyroid or diabetes. None of which can really be treated in a mouse by any vet. It's really crappy that your vet office won't even see her, although there really isn't much they can do other than comfort care... which is basically anything that treats her symptoms and makes her happy but with the understanding that actual improvement is unlikely. I'm so sorry. That's how my Penny went. One day I picked her up and she felt like a cloud. I didn't even take her to the vet, there was no reason it. It would have stressed her out and they wouldn't have told me anything I didn't already know.

I'm sure she'll appreciate the heating pad. About the KMR, I'll hop over to your new thread about that. And as far as finding a new vet... you can try, but the most they can do is give you some benedry (or apoquel) and maybe meloxicam if she seems like she is in pain. There were times that I gave Gilly meloxicam because it made *me* feel better to do at least something for her. And i'm sure her face had to hurt from all the scratching. But when I really looked at her, she wasn't nearly as bothered by it as I was. Hang in there. You have taken such good care of her.... I know, I really know how hard it is to watch a mouse go through this.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouseketeers on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 4:30 am

I can be of no assistance ( not that I think you need any, you are doing everything you possibly can ) but I am so sorry you are going through this. Fingers crossed that everything works out!
Mouseketeers
Sr Member
Sr Member

Relaxed

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/mymouseketeers/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 10:41 am

We had a little bit of a scare last night. I was out at the library hanging out with some friends, and my mom, who I'd assigned to check on Mabel a few times, texted me and asked me to come home, and that she didn't look too good. Obviously I rushed home in what was one of the absolute worst car rides of my life, mentally preparing myself for the fact that something could be seriously wrong when I got home. My mom kept frantically texting me the entire time, too, which did not help. But when I got home, I burst into the kitchen to find my mom jovially feeding Mabel a bit of pasta and she said, "Sorry, false alarm. She's fine." So that happened.

Not sure what that whole scenario implies. I mean, my mom could have seen something weird. Apparently she was moving very little, and all the other girls were very concerned about her, but as soon as my mom took her out she was acting normal. But then again, my mom was just a little bit tipsy from a dinner party, so who knows?

Question: I have the heat pad under the tank at the lowest setting, but I can't detect any noticeable difference in the tank's temperature on such a low setting. I tried putting it up to medium, and then it did get a little warmer, but I turned it back down because paranoia. Would it be best to just leave it on low, or should I turn it up a little since low doesn't seem to be doing anything?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 10:51 am

CinnamonPearl - maybe you could put it up to medium if you or your mom are around to keep an eye on it, but if you go out or go to bed put in back down on low?
If Mabel has lost that much weight, chances are she's feeling pretty exhausted, so maybe that's what your mom witnessed?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 8:23 pm

I'm so sorry that this is happening... It makes me really sad, because Mabel has always been my favorite of all your mice. She's really pretty.
I hope something can be done and she gets better, even if that's a pretty slim possibility.

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 8:34 pm

So, I was thinking.... Maybe we shouldn't all be so pessimistic. I know that her situation is a difficult thing, but I've been hanging out with her all day, and she's still acting completely normal. Still running around, playing, and eating. Maybe once I can get her in to see a doctor, it'll turn out to be curable? Does anyone know what sort of things could be the reason for all this?

Also, I was thinking... could her eye problems and this weight loss be related? I can't really see how, but it feels like a weird string of events.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 9:40 pm

With the heating pad, use your hand to help you determine what is best. if it's too warm for you, it's definitely too warm for them. likewise, if you don't feel it, neither will they. but if you do put it on medium, just make sure that it is only under a small part of the tank, so that they can get away from it if it is too warm.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm

Hey! Mabel gained a gram. She's 38 now. That's a good sign, right? ^.^

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:57 pm

Hooray You're right, negativity isn't going to help anyone Smile

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:36 pm

Aw, I'm not trying to be pessimistic. I'm sorry if it came off like that. I wasn't implying that you should give up on her. But rather, I just wanted to be honest with you about what her symptoms indicate. Remember, we don't sugar coat things here.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

How old is she?

You mentioned she has been sleeping a lot lately or hiding out atleast. I would try and get some good food in her. Does she like kibble? If she is feeling depressed and not eating much it's sort of a downward spiral type thing. It's important she has a few good meals if possible to get her energy levels back up so she will want to eat more. Sometimes a new healthy treat is a good way to trick them into getting the nutrition they need to fight whatever little sickness they are going through.

Her eye problems could be helping cause her depressed appetite for sure. It could be something viral or some type of infection or it could just be psychological. Attention is good and good food is good. All of that raises dopamine levels and other feel good hormones that help with healing.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 7:28 pm

She's not depressed. In fact, she acts like her usual peppy self pretty much all the time. Her problem is obsessive compulsive disorder that's causing her to tear at her eye, plus this new weight loss.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum