Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Regarding Mabel

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Regarding Mabel

Post by Brynne on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:23 am

Liquid foods are great for weight gain: Baby food, rice milk or yoghurt/kefir can be easily lapped up.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks! I'll run out to the store and grab some for her right away.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:20 pm

I went out and got some baby food for Mabel this morning. I got the best, most organic and natural brand, of course! The ingredients are literally just organic apples and water, which makes me very happy. She isn't really taking to it so far, but it might just be because it's cold, so I'm gonna wait til the stuff warms up and then try again.

She went down to 35g yesterday, which had me very worried, but she's back up to 37 today. I really wish I could get her in to see a doctor. I'm still completely angry that the other vets refused to even see her. I'll definitely be bringing it up with them when I finally get her in. She seemed very tired earlier when I first took her out, but she's back to her energetic (or at least mobile) self now. So that's good.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:45 pm

I've also given a mouse baby food before when they've had health issues. I tried a couple of types. If I remember correctly, one was an apple and pear, and the other was something like chicken and sweet potato. I put a little of both out to see which she'd prefer. I thought for sure she'd go for the apple and pear, because it's sweet, but funnily enough she didn't touch that one, but ate all of the savory one Confused So if she doesn't eat it, don't lose hope, just try a different flavor! In a desperate bid to get a different sick mouse to eat, I even gave some apple crumble once. It's naughty, I know.

I definitely think giving her interesting treats is a good idea. Not just for her weight and physical health, but it might even keep her distracted from scratching right now. If you know she has any favourite treats, give her lots of that, and maybe some things that she's never tried before, for the novelty factor?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 pm

I got four different flavors, so I'll try them all. I got apple, sweet potato, peas, and carrots. Hopefully she'll take a liking to one of them. I haven't given them to her in a while, but I remember she used to like cheerios quite a bit. I'll try those again. Thanks, MouseLover.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Mabel's been hovering around 35-37g for a few days now. It could certainly be better, but at least she isn't dropping. But now something bad is happening with Lilith too, which I'll detail in a separate thread.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Something I give my mice when they're sick, is a little piece of wheat toast dipped in olive oil. It's high in calories, they love oil, and it can help with constipation.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Neither of my sick girls are taking to baby food, so I'll give it a try.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Yes things dipped in oil are good for fattening up sick mice.

Do your mice normally like bread? I have had mice that wouldn't touch the stuff.

You could try cheerios dipped in fresh olive oil, old stuff that has been sitting around for 6 months is probably not as good. I would go with a mix of cheerios and bread as they have different nutrient profiles. Maybe even try breaking up a piece of kibble and dipping the pieces of kibble in oil, so they soak up more flavour. Kibble is very good for mice sick or otherwise, if it's quality kibble.

You could also try coconut oil.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Most of my girls enjoy bread yes. I was happy earlier because I got Lilith to eat an entire chunk of the stuff, not even dipped or anything. Cheerios, wheat bread, kibble- I'll try it all. I'll have to run out and buy kibble, but I've got cheerios for days at home.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 am

UPDATE: In the midst of all this bad news, I am pleased to give this update. It feels like Mabel's OCD is easing up since I started focusing on her again. Last week, she couldn't stop scratching, but now I can actually turn away from her or leave to get a snack without coming back to find her bloodied. I'm not sure if she's relaxing because of whatever illness she has or because of my efforts, or if it's a combination, but I'm just glad she's feeling okay with her eye.

I just hope we can keep this up long enough for her eye to heal. The wounds around it are pretty nasty. Missing fur and lots of raw skin. It doesn't look very good. But that'll only happen if I can keep her off her eye long enough for it to heal, which I hope I can! She never squints anymore, which was a problem for a very long time (I think the doxycycline helped with that), so if I could just knock this OCD out of her, she'd be good as new! No more gosh darn eye problems.

Edit: I forgot to ask. Do you guys think maybe Mabel's illness could be caused by not an illness? But instead something like stress? Or maybe because she's more active now? I kinda doubt it, but... She's just acting so normal! I really don't get it. Sick mice act sick, right? But Mabel seems fine. She does weigh the same as she did when I first got her. Maybe she's just reverting?

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:35 pm

OCD is a mental illness that is triggered by stress, boredom, conflict, sadness, etc. Infection and skin tearing that happens in the eye is secondary to the OCD. Since she keeps breaking the skin, little germs keep getting in. And once the habit develops, it remains even if there isn't any triggers. But the mouse doesn't *feel* sick. I don't imagine they even think about it all. They just have an itch, then they scratch it. I remember being so amazed at Gilly.... she seemed completely fine, you know except for the fact that she was tearing her eye out.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun May 01, 2016 1:06 pm

WE'RE UP TO FORTY GRAMS! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouseketeers on Sun May 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Yay! It was all that positive thinking Very Happy
Mouseketeers
Sr Member
Sr Member

Relaxed

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/mymouseketeers/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun May 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Well, back down to 39, but now that I know she can get up there, I'm gonna fatten this mouse up so good she's never gonna wanna stop eating again! I'm feeling determined! I think it was the bread and olive oil that really helped, so starting tomorrow, she's getting that stuff every day. Who cares if it's not healthy? I certainly don't! >Very Happy

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top