Post by MouseLover on Mon 02 May 2016, 6:35 am

Yaaay! Good news! Dance

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding Mabel

Post by Teramis on Tue 03 May 2016, 6:36 pm

If you can get some ferretvite, that's a really great thng to give sick meeple. Very high in nutrients. It's a snacky treat (paste) for ferrets, but mice love it too. Although, if a mouse hasn't had it before, they don't always realize it's good food, so you might want to smear it on a cheerio - they'll taste it when eating the cheerio (or other treat) and then usually start liking the ferretvite a lot. I also use it to mix medicines into, for meeple that I can't dose any other way. They just gobble it right up.

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 05 May 2016, 6:01 pm

So Mabel's fecal test came back negative, and Lilith's necropsy is so far inconclusive. Not really sure what to think about that.

The vet wants to rule out mites, just in case, so she gave me selamectin to treat all the girls with. (For free! Can you believe that? She really is a wonderful vet.) She also sent out a few samples from the necropsy to get tested. I'm really hoping those will shed some light on the situation. In the meantime, it's just wheat bread and olive oil until we can figure this out. Mabel is still acting normally. I don't even know if her illness and Lilith's are related or if they're just freak coincidences, seeing as their other symptoms are so vastly different, but I don't like that there's a chance they're related, nor do I like that Mabel isn't gaining anymore weight. For now, we're just waiting.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Sat 07 May 2016, 4:11 pm

Wheat Bread and Olive Oil isn't a very balanced diet. A mouse, especially a sick one, needs more nutrients than just that. Dog kibble, pumpkin seeds are good nutritional sources.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis on Sat 07 May 2016, 6:49 pm

If you are keeping food variety minimal, other good non-reactive (ie non-allergenic) and highly nutritious things to feed include egg (scrambled, or just cooked yolks), and KMR (pedialyte).

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 07 May 2016, 8:08 pm

Wait, I didn't say I was only feeding her bread and olive oil. She still has her seed mix and vegetables twice a week! I've just been giving her bread and olive oil as treats to help her pack on the grams.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis on Sat 07 May 2016, 10:19 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:I've just been giving her bread and olive oil as treats to help her pack on the grams.

Cool. How's it working so far?

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 07 May 2016, 10:22 pm

Not as well as I'd hoped. It helped to get her up to 40g, but she dropped back down and hasn't gone back up. Right now I'm more waiting for the necropsy results than anything, just so I actually know what I'm dealing with.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis on Sat 07 May 2016, 10:35 pm

It can be so distressing to see them in decline and not be able to halt it. Am sending her and you healing thoughts and much good energy!

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Mon 16 May 2016, 11:32 am

How is she?

boofandkara
User Removed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun 22 May 2016, 6:35 pm

Update:

Mabel's been up and down the past few days. She's been in a really good mood lately and has been very happy and friendly, even with me, which is a bit shocking. I'm not sure if it's because we're finally treating her tapeworm or if Egg's just been cheering her up or something, but she's been in a good mood, which makes me happy.

Unfortunately, her OCD is getting worse. She's no longer just targeting her eye; she's ripping at both her ears, and now she has a nasty scratch on her back too. There was one night where there was just blood dripping from her ear. She's been leaving her eye alone more to focus on her ears. I have no idea why or how this was even triggered, but it was. I honestly haven't been changing up her toys enough the past week, as I've been focused on the tapeworm and Cow's lump, but I'm gonna get back into it now that the girls are finished with half their medicine. I hope it helps, but at this point I just don't know.

I decided to put some cortaid on the wound on her back to see if it would make her leave it alone, but I abstained from doing her ears because I would have to put it inside her ears. Do you guys think I should try and get a little in her ears, or should I just leave those alone? So far I never put any on the wound under her eye because I don't want to accidentally get any in her eye, but I'm willing to try with her ears. I'm good at getting mice to sit still so I feel I could do it safely, but I won't make any moves without a recommendation.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 22 May 2016, 7:48 pm

I'm not sure about the cortaid, but have you considered putting something like a brick under her water bottle? If she has to climb up a brick to get her water, it could file her nails down over time. Obviously this won't help the OCD, but it could possibly help reduce the damage she does to herself? Just a thought, don't know how well it would work, as I've fortunately not had to deal with OCD scratching before.

Glad to hear she seems happy though. It could indeed be thanks to the tapeworm treatment - tapeworms deprive you of vital nutrients, so if she had one, she'll be feeling more energetic without it Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 24 May 2016, 7:26 am

Update:

She was very tired yesterday. She just seemed very sluggish and lazy in her movements. She wasn't running around excitedly like the last couple of days. I'm worried, but on the bright side, it's only a few more days until her tapeworm is dead, so hopefully she can hang on til then. She seemed fine this morning, but she's also down to 34g.

After Friday, I'm planning to do a re-nutrition process to get her back to healthy levels of her nutrients and minerals. So there'll be fresh foods every day. I wanna try and cover everything, so does anyone know the most nutritious vegetables and foods I can try? They really like leafy greens, but my girls have never been too picky. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue 24 May 2016, 7:48 am

Based on nutrition and mousie preference, I would go with kale, broccoli, and spinach. Add in 3 mealworms a day. I'm sure she's exhausted from the parasite. My honeybun was so anemic when I got her from the scabies sucking all her blood and malnourished from only being given pet shop blocks. It took her a little while before she perked up. I hated doing it... but when Buns was sick, I gave her live mealworms. I'm sure they had better nutrition and offered water content that you obviously don't get from dried. But I couldn't help but feel like a hypocrite feeding live food to a mouse that I object being fed live to a snake. I know a worm is a little different when it comes to thoughts and feelings but still. Anyway, that's that.

The antibiotics probably make Mabel feel pretty crummy too. Most medications cause side effects like gastrointestinal upset, headache, fatigue, and flu like symptoms. Hang on Mabel! It's almost over and you handled it like a champ Cheer

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue 24 May 2016, 11:55 am

Scaredymouse - I usually think that live feeding is incredibly cruel. But when it comes to insects, most scientists believe that they don't actually experience pain. So I wouldn't feel bad about it.

I agree that live is more nutritious, but whether the mice will actually eat them live, that depends on the mouse. Some get freaked out by the wriggling Laughing

Lots of mice enjoy scrambled eggs too. Eggs are like nature's multivitamin Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum