Can I listen to hamster videos?

Go down

Can I listen to hamster videos?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:02 am

I am planning on getting two female mice in about 2 months at my grandmas house, which I visit about 4 times a year. This will be my first time owning mice and I know a lot from years of wanting one and trying to convince my parents. I am just wondering if I can listen to hamster videos for advice on mouse care? There is a lack of mouse info on YT and I have watched almost all of them. I know the basics like the size of enclosure needed and how to generally care for them, but can I listen to hamster care videos? There are much more out there and I feel like I might get the wrong info from them. Can I use hamster advice for mouse care?
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can I listen to hamster videos?

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:07 am

Learning mouse care for videos on hamster care is like watching videos on caring for baby gorillas to raise a human child. It'll only cause problems for both you and your future mice.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:23 am

What do you recommend then?
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:25 am

At the top of this forum, you'll see a section labeled mouse information. It's the one that had all the cute mouse graphics on it. Those are filled to the brim with articles on almost everything you need to know. Read all of those, and then feel free to ask us any questions you have.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:17 pm

I agree with Cinnamon. Having cared for both hamsters and mice, while a few small things might be similar, their care needs are very different.   Continue researching mouse care. Don't limit your research to just youtube or just one website. I find with any pet, it's best to use many sources combined with a good vet and your own good judgement. Smile

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Congrats on getting some mice, I'm sure you'll love them Smile There are lots of knowledgeable mouse-owners on forums who I'm sure would be willing to answer any questions you have Smile

There will be some cross over between hamster and mouse care, but I don't think it'll be very helpful to you and your mice really. If you want to watch youtube videos and there aren't enough mouse-related ones, you'd actually be better off with rat videos than hamster videos, since mice are much more closely related to rats.

But as others have said, each species has specific needs, so really you need mouse info for mice Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Mice and hamsters have different nutritional requirements, need different sized tanks, mice need their tanks cleaned weekly whereas hamsters only need to be cleaned every couple of weeks, different social needs, and some foods are okay for hamsters that are unsafe for mice. So, you can see that that hamster videos are not going to give you the information you need to care for mice.

You are welcome to ask any questions you may have about mouse care here on this forum or feel free to go though the mouse information that we have on the home page.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Norman's Mom on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:45 am

I agree with everyone - Reading all the info at the top and asking questions you have here will help you much more.

You simply cannot apply care, or compare any other kind (species) of pocket pet with mouse-care - everyone has serious and different needs. Rats even - this is one a lot of people make a mistake with - it is really, really important to know for a fact that mice are not "little rats". Each species has it's own needs and care.

Sticking around here, we have quite a few experienced Fanciers here, or finding other mouse forums are your best bet for proper care instructions and help.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Pisces Cheerful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum