Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

My Mouse Arnie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Mouse Arnie

Post by MouseMummy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 pm

I took him to the vet today (I live in New Zealand) and we don't have great rodent vets here. So I thought perhaps you guys could help me.

He doesn't want to eat (managed to get some formula and water into him today though, but yesterday wasn't drinking)

He's lethargic but does move around sometimes

He has a pale tail (you can see his artery) and the tip is ghost white.

He's not particularly hunched
His breathing is a bit fast but not sure if that's normal or not

He's not sneezing or rattling or coughing

He doesn't have the runs or weeping eyes.

Any suggestions?

MouseMummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Mouse Arnie

Post by Artistwolf on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good... I don't know what it could be. What did the vet say?

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseMummy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 pm

She said she didn't know what It could be. Maybe a response? His breathing got a bad all of a sudden so I've taken him into the shower room for a bit to get the steam in to help relax his lungs. Seems to have helped. I am waiting for the vet to call me back.

MouseMummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:38 pm

How old is Arnie? Have you changed anything in his environment recently?

A heat source (like a heating pad) sometimes helps mice perk up when they're not feeling well... might be worth a try if you haven't done that, yet. I hope your vet will be able to help you more.
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseMummy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:42 pm

He's just over a year old. Maybe 1 yr 3 months roughly.

I have been giving my boys a vitamin supplement lately that the pet store vet suggested for my old boy (he's over 2!) And so thought I'd give a little to my other boys as well (I have 3, Arnie is the youngest) I also have recently been giving them pureed vege meat and a little fruit (like half a teaspoon each) every day or two at night. That's the only thing that has changed.

I have a wheat pack. If I put that under his cage would that be okay? He's currently in a plastic hospital carrier to be closer to food and water if he decides to eat it.

MouseMummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:53 pm

A wheat pack is fine. You'll want to make sure he'll be able to move away from the warmth if he gets too warm, though.

I know supplements are generally advised against... but I don't have any idea if it would make your mouse so ill. Hopefully other members will stop by to chime in soon.
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseMummy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:56 pm

Why are they advised against if you don't mind me asking? The other two seem to thriving on it though.

OK will do that heat pack thank you :-)

Also Arnie is different in that he was bought from a family that breeds as opposed to the pet store that breeds their own mice and it known for breeding wonderful healthy mice as they also have a vet on site. So I wonder if that's an issue like perhaps he is genetically inferior or something?

MouseMummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:04 pm

The idea is that they should be getting everything they need from their food... a base food with fresh food supplements (fruits, veggies, a protein, etc). I'd imagine it's also hard to make sure that what they're getting is correct, and too much of a "good thing" isn't good.
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseMummy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Ah yup I see. I literally bought it to make sure they were getting what they needed... I feel like an :censored: now.

MouseMummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am

Sorry your little guy isn't well Sad did your vet listen to his breathing? Does he have no other symptoms at all? It's really hard to know what's wrong without more clues Sad Has the vet (or you) checked his teeth?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:27 pm

It sounds like something is very wrong, definitely. You have the right idea to keep him warm and in high humidity. Right now, be there for him. I hate to say it, but usually when mouse get lethargic and act like this, there is something very wrong internally, and the end could be near. Be there to comfort him; it's all you can do right now.

You could also give him some cheerios soaked in KMR.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseMummy on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:41 pm

She didn't check his lungs. No sounds that I can hear through listening up close though.

His teeth and gums are fine.

The vet rang me back suggesting either antibiotics or to put him down. His breathing had gone very shallow very suddenly. I chose anti biotics. Was a mission getting them in to him though!

After 1 dose as well as getting a bit of formula in to him as he was going near solids, he is now eating solids! Just not as much as he used to still... but he seems to be doing better!

MouseMummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:11 pm

I was going to ask why he wasn't on antibiotics, but I see that he is now! It's always worth a shot, in my opinion. I hope things continue to improve!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:24 am

Antibiotics definitely sound worth a shot. Hope your little buddy pulls through!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top