new mouse owner needing help!

Go down

new mouse owner needing help!

Post by jess32247 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:51 pm

hello! i just started my journey of keeping mice today. i might of jumped the gun a little bit and came home with four new additions to the family before i finished getting there main tank ready. right now all the girls are in a temporary bin cage while i put together there 27 gallon tank- im not 100% sure what size it is because its a bow front aquarium, but its very large.

im wondering if the tank is too large? i jumped the gun a little bit and wasnt planning on getting mice for at least a few more days so im feeling a little  unprepared and like im doing something wrong. could it be too big for 4 mice? will it cause territory issues?

one of the females is being very aggressive towards the other two, which happen to be young sisters. the sisters arent quite full grown yet and arent much smaller then the other two. when one of the sisters go near the agressive one, the aggressive one will nip at them until they leave, usually for a few seconds. however the none aggressive female gets along completely fine with the agressive one and the sisters. im wondering why the aggressive one is only agressive to the sisters? ive only been home with them for a few hours, things have calmed down a little now that the sisters have learned to steer clear of the aggressive one.

if anyone could provide me any information at all or point me to some good sites i would be very appreciated!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new mouse owner needing help!

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 pm

there aren't many other sites dedicated to the care and welfare of pet mice, other than us. we pride ourselves on providing accurate, trustworthy information. our main page has a lot of general information for you to look through.

did you get all the girls at the same time? from the same tank? where did you get them from? how old are they? what else do you have in the bin... type of bedding, hideaway, wheel, toys, food? So, for 4 mice, we would probably recommend a 20 gallon long tank. I'm not sure what the dimensions on your tank are, so it's hard to say if it's a little large since floorspace is the most important factor. The problems with tanks that are too large is that sometimes it can be hard to tame the mice when they have that much space. But many people don't find that to be a problem.

Anytime you bring new mice home, they are going to freak out a little. Also, what exactly do you mean by aggressive? Describe the behavior for me. Let's start here and see if we can help! I know its a lot of questions but it matters.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Welcome! I wouldn't worry too much if it's a 27 gallon. A 29 gallon is only suitable enough for 5 mice according to the cage calculator. But as Scaredy said, there are some important factors we need to know before we can help figure this out.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:58 pm

sorry about being a little bit vauge you two! yes i got all the girls at the same time- no they werent all in the same tank together, only the sisters where. three came from petco while the fourth came from another pet store.

im using a few inches of aspen bedding in the bin mixed with a bit of clean and cozy. they have a 8" saucer wheel, one medium sized hidey house, two mugs, a tube, two food bowls (one for dry food and another for fruits and veg, could this cause a problem as well?), and a water bottle. im a bit short on toys at the moment so ill be ordering a bunch online the next day off i have, hopefully in a few days. cant wait to properly spoil these girls!

the dimensions of the tank are 21H 36L and 16W at its largest point. what i mean by aggressive is that when one of the sisters get near the aggressive one, she'll turn around and nip at them or chase then out of the hide house. however since i posted that earlier they seem to be getting along much better, there seems to be very little biting. they are walking right up to each other and squishing in tubes together without a problem, though the sisters seem to be a little uneasy about the aggressive one still. i hope this isnt just a phase, im already way calmer then i was before seeing them get along Smile

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:04 pm

According to the cage calculator, that is enough room for 8 mice. It seems a little big, if the problem continues to happen, I suggest putting them in a little bit smaller tank like a 20 gallon long, and see how they do.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:57 am

do you think i should skip the tank altogether and switch to something smaller (but still bigger then the temporary bin cage theyre in)? or should i give the tank a shot and see how it goes for a while when i finish gettig it ready in a few days?

i think ill try the tank for a while because downgrading wont be much trouble if i have too. i can definitely put together another bin cage if need be later on. does that sound safe to do?

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:16 am

I don't see a problem with trying the big tank, just give it a shot and see how it goes. Space may not even be the problem here, it could just be dominant behavior.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:45 am

Alright, so there tend to be a lot of problems when you just plop mice in with each other.  Introductions can be very tricky.  Typically, if mice have never met... they should be go through a quarantine period of three weeks so that they can get used to their new environments, make sure they aren't sick/contagious, so you can tame them, and so you can make sure none of the females are pregnant.  so the single mouse should have been kept alone for the first three weeks, so she could settle in.  but what's done is done.  also, the mice at petco may not be sisters at all.  petco may have just thrown a bunch of mice in a tank.  it's hard to say exactly what is going on with your girls but they are definitely sorting out their hierarcy.  

The rule of thumb is "no blood, no problem".  So you may hear a bunch of squeaking, see a lot of chasing or humping, but as long as no one is bleeding, let them work it out.  I don't see a problem with trying them in the tank that you have.  But if you find that you are having a hard time taming them and they are really skiddish, you may want to consider a smaller tank.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  Let us know how things are going.  Welcome to the forum, by the way hello3

for future reference, here is our recommendations for introducing female mice.

http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t39-introducing-mice#

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:42 am

What size is the bin you're temporarily keeping them in? It may work better to keep them in it for a while, until you've gotten to know them and tamed them up - then try the bigger tank. There's still a chance it might not work out but in my opinion the odds are better with tame mice. I bumped my current girls up slowly. They started in a 15g, moved to a 20g long, and are now doing great in 40g breeder.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 am

despite me jumping the gun as badly as i did, things are going way more smoothly so far today. Smile the "aggressive" female today is acting totally fine and theyre all getting along. ive cointed maybe one or two yelps coming from the tank today which has made me able to relax more.

the bin theyre in now is about 15" by 18" at the base- keeping in the bin for right now sounds like a good idea so i can handle them easier and get them tame. already makibg progress on that with one of the sisters. Smile the two sisters are actually sisters- someone brought them and all six of there brotheres to the store to be adopted.

however- im abosutely postive one of the females is pregnant. she was housed with two other males for whoever knows how long by the one pet store. shes also swelled up in size from yesterday. im really not sure what to do about her, ill have a lot more time tomorrow get more research in but im completely freaking out again. can anyone point me in the right direction or give some info? should i seperate her or keep them all together?

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:12 am

Oh my, you have your hands full! I would separate her, because if she does give birth, there is a risk of the other mice hurting her babies. You will find tons of helpful information in these links:
http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/f11-reproductive-care
http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/f17-genetics-breeding

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:31 am

thank you so much! ill post a topic in the reproductive care forum at some point today to keep this post uncluttered. as soon as i get baack from class in a few hours ill clean out one of my 10g tanks for her and start a new post asap.

thanks so much for all the help so far you guys!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:50 am

If she really is pregnant, I would start seeing if you could find people to take the babies. You can always take them to a pet store if worst comes to worst, but this is not ideal as most if not all the babies you give them will end up as snake/reptile food. You can always keep a few does or even a buck for yourself, but chances are you will not be able to house all of the babies yourself once they reach adulthood.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum