new mouse owner with pregnant female!

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: new mouse owner with pregnant female!

Post by jess32247 on Fri 23 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

im thinking ill keep one of two of the girls to join the rest of the ladies i have once they grow up enough and set up the main tank i have so they can live with my other girls. i have enough supplies to maybe keep a male so we'll see what happens with that. Wink

ill have to end up rehoming the rest of them at some point but ill wait a few days until they settle in to start looking for good homes for them<3

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Fri 23 Sep 2016, 6:50 pm

Glad she had a successful delivery and seven is quite a manageable number. Keep us posted!

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:23 pm

Congrats Very Happy seven is a fairly manageable number at least, you never know with mice haha.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 8:20 am

sad news last night. i went to take a quick look of the babies when i got home from work to find one off to the side not alive. my mom said she saw that one in the same spot when she looked but was still alive at the time. i wish i new what happened. it was a fair amount smaller then the rest. Sad

i did see lots of little pink wigglies though! lots of little sqeaks too. they all seem to be doing really well so far. Smile

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 10:01 am

I'm sorry about that poor baby. I believe that mother mice sometimes abandon babies who aren't healthy enough, perhaps that's what happened. Good to hear the rest seem to be doing well!

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 10:32 am

Aww poor baby. I had the same thought as Abeona. Seems to me it's a fairly common occurrence (?), though definitely sad all the same. I hope the rest of the babies continue to do well.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 11:10 am

she seems to be taking really good care of them so im hoping she knows whats best. the rest of them were very active and loud so im hoping theres no more ill ones in the bunch. i cant wait for them to start wiggling out of the nest!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

@jess32247 wrote:she seems to be taking really good care of them so im hoping she knows whats best. the rest of them were very active and loud so im hoping theres no more ill ones in the bunch. i cant wait for them to start wiggling out of the nest!
Tomorrow I think will be three full days since the birth, so that means you will be able to start handling the babies, something you'll want to do in order to make the babies as tame as possible. Just be sure to make sure mom's out of the tank and distracted by something fun before you start doing this, otherwise she'll get real defensive.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 1:41 pm

thank you for the information! i think ill try handling them tonight, maybe the day after just to be on the safe side unless you think thats not a good idea. ive been reading up on caring for them each day so i have an idea of what to expect and do but at the same time im still worried, especially since one passed away.

seriously, thank you everyone for keeping me in the right direction! i promise to post lots of pictures as a proper thank you when theyre old enough. Smile

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 3:28 pm

@jess32247 wrote:thank you for the information! i think ill try handling them tonight, maybe the day after just to be on the safe side unless you think thats not a good idea. ive been reading up on caring for them each day so i have an idea of what to expect and do but at the same time im still worried, especially since one passed away.

seriously, thank you everyone for keeping me in the right direction! i promise to post lots of pictures as a proper thank you when theyre old enough. Smile
You want be sure to wait a whole 72 hours after birth before handling, no earlier. That way the babies are hardier and mom's a little less nervous and not so shaken by the delivery. Also, start by only handling the babies for a minute or two at first, then slowly work your way up until you're handling them for about a half hour twice a day by the time they're about to open their eyes. That way you can gradually get mom more comfortable with trusting you with her babies.

As for the baby that passed, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the others are doing okay. Orphans usually happen because the mom sees that one of her babies isn't doing well, and chooses to not waste energy on it and lets it die so she can better focus on the ones who are doing well. Sad, but mom usually knows best.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

i think ill wait until tuesday to start holding the babies, just to make sure its no less then three days and to give the mom some peace and quite since shes had my mom and i check on the babies once each. i would love to hold them sooner but id rather be safer then sorry. Smile

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 11:00 pm

i said i would try to wait until tomorrow to handle the babies but i just couldnt wait! i took mom mouse out of her tank and into a secondary one for a few minutes while i checked on the babies. i can confirm theres 6 little ones in there and they all look wiggly and heathly!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:14 am

Aww! Adorable!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 5:53 am

Wiggly and healthy, yaaay! Baby mice look like jelly beans to me Laughing they only start to look like mice once their fur starts to come in Wink

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 9:50 am

Eek, sticky little babies. You'll love holding them, they're so so sweet. Love Can't wait to see fur!
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next