new mouse owner with pregnant female!

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: new mouse owner with pregnant female!

Post by jess32247 on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:33 pm

been a while since my last post! all six babies are doing amazing. i wish i had a picture to post but they're crazy fast little things and will not hold still for even second. i'm talking to a girl that's been very interested in the little tan boy from the start, i'm hoping that works out and he'll be able to go home with her. Smile

... it's weird though, because when i asked her for a very small adoption fee, she said she had no money and wasn't interested. i think she's in her teens so that's understandable. i told her i would give him for free because i've been talking to her for a couple weeks on facebook and she's sent pictures of cages she has. but then she said she could take all four if i couldn't find homes for them. that seems a little sketchy and is making me nervous because i'm pretty sure she has a ball python. i'm okay with letting her have one but am i being overly cautious thinking four is a bad idea?

i'm curious about when would be a good time to seperate the males and start introducing the females to the rest of my group? they were born on sept 23, i'm thinking about seperating them on oct 21 (four weeks old) and letting them go to new homes on oct 28+ (five weeks old) at the earliest, preferably when they're closer to six weeks. does that should alright?

about the mom and two girls, can i start introducing them to my other three at five+ weeks? i'm thinking about switching there toys into each others cages to start off with, then a couple days later maybe letting them run around in the tub together? should i start with 1:1 or all together? i have no idea how to introduce three to three, crossing my fingers it all works out so i don't have to rehome anyone. :/

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:45 pm

If she doesn't have money for a small adoption fee, will she have money for a vet? For food and bedding and all the other supplies that she'll need? Especially after offering to take all four... That sounds really off to me, too. Scratch

Your plans for separating, rehoming, and introducing sound good. You can introduce all the girls at the same time in the tub. If the mom seems protective of the babies just wait a couple more weeks and try again. Smile
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:47 pm

That sounds really sketchy to me. SHe can't even afford a rehoming fee of five dollars? Usually that's enough to weed out reptile owners. If she can apparently afford all these cages but not a small rehoming fee, don't trust her. She might want to resell your mice, use them as feeders, or something along those lines. Even if you're desperate to rehome some of them, it sounds way too sketchy to me. Think about the safety of the kids. I also just reread your post and saw that she has a ball python. DO NOT TRUST HER.

Separate the males when they turn 4 weeks old. When they're exactly 28 days, separate. Introducing the mom and her daughters at five weeks sounds fine. You can start switching their bedding and toys and then introduce everyone in neutral territory together.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:48 pm

The unwillingness to pay a fee and then offer to take all four sounds off to me too.. I wish you the best with this all, it sounds like you have done an awesome job with them all.
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 11:23 pm

i'm going to take the advice you guys have given and not let her have any of the babies. i needed reassurance that my suspicions are enough to tell her no. when i asked for a *$3* adoption fee, she went from being 100% interested and committed to not being interested at all. i've been nervous about it since then. from now on, any doubts i get from people will be a hard no. i'm sure given some time, i'll find people i get a better vibe from. maybe not right away but i'll be a lot more careful from here on out.

that being said, is a $3 adoption fee too little? i adopted two girls for $3 from petco because someone surrendered a pregnant female that had a bunch of babies and that was there adoption fee. would $5 be better?

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 11:31 pm

$3 seems too little for me, yeah. $5 is safer because reptile owners want to buy feeder mice for cheap, but it's still hardly a dent for small animal pet owners. If you want to really be safe, you could even go $10. That's reasonable to me, and if someone is compliant with that and seems 100% trustworthy, you can always lower it for them.

If this girl couldn't even pay $3, you're absolutely right to not trust her at all. Rather safe than sorry, especially where animals are involved. Even if you can't find anyone else to take them, the kids will be safer with you than they would be with some abusive reptile owner. And even if she didn't actually intend to feed the kids to someone, you know for sure she won't get them vet care.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:37 am

i bumped up the price to $6, seems like it'll help ward off people with bad intentions. i would love to keep all the boys to make sure they stay somewhere safe but that's not possible. i know there's people out there that would take great care of them, i just have to find them. Smile man i'd really love to keep them all though. gah.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 5:41 am

Small animal rescue groups and animal shelters are always an option! They will make sure your mice don't become feeders. You just have to make sure that they will keep your boys separated, as not all shelters know that makes cannot live together.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:46 am

abeona wrote:If she doesn't have money for a small adoption fee, will she have money for a vet? For food and bedding and all the other supplies that she'll need? Especially after offering to take all four... That sounds really off to me, too. Scratch

This.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:45 am

I sure wish I could get one.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by newchance360 on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 2:54 pm

OMG - They are so adorable!!!
I wish I lived closer, I would adopt one in a heartbeat!!
Hubby does have a corn snake but he isn't allowed to go anywhere near my mice. I make him do his own thing separately and can't watch or be in room.
Anytime I can I try to rescue one of his feeder mice to add to my colony. If the snake rejects it they are mine!!! They will stay with me for the rest of their lives. I have just recently started keeping mice as well. It all started with me rescuing two of hubbies feeders. I'm now crazy infatuated and can't wait til they accept me. I think mine were handled roughly before I got them.
I've spent way too much money now on tanks, toys, food and snacks.
So there are a few of us that have mice and snakes and lizards and Great Danes, oh my! Lol
I have a menagerie.
I'm over on the West Coast, so unless we could find some way to ship, I can't adopt one of your beautiful babies. Sad
I can't wait to continue watching them grow.
You are doing an incredible thing!
D

newchance360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4