Do pet mice hibernate?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do pet mice hibernate?

Post by stephlisa on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Ok, so this might sound a little odd...but we've noticed Colin has started being much more interested in his food recently...but only since the weather turned autumnal here in the south of England.

So we were wondering if pet mice knew that it was autumn and that if they were wild they'd be eating everything they could ready for hibernation?  Obviously I'm not expecting him to hibernate or anything like that, but we thought it was an interesting question for you guys...so...over to you...discuss!

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Re: Do pet mice hibernate?

Post by MouseLover on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Wild meecers don't hibernate. In fact, the only times I've had wild mice in the house has been in winter time, as they're looking for somewhere warmer to go - by spring time they've disappeared.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't try to eat more and put on a bit of weight in case things are scarce over winter... I dunno... interesting question!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm

It's started getting darker earlier and staying cooler at night, but I havent noticed any differences... at least not yet. I think someone mentioned on TFM that mice might slow down to cobserve energy, too. Interesting topic! Smile
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Ah, for some reason I had it in my head that wild mice hibernate (don't know why :S).
To me it seems odd that a pet mouse who, no matter what, is always given enough food and water would go into a winter mode. Maybe its an instinct thing or maybe its just coincidence that we've noticed it now!

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top