Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloating In Mouse Pup

Go down

Bloating In Mouse Pup Empty Bloating In Mouse Pup

Post by nlawyer on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 8:50 pm

I lately came into possession of two orphan field mice. While visiting farmer relatives I was told that my uncle had opened up a grain bin and had stirred up a whole bunch of mice. Being the farmer he was, he stomped on any mice he could, leaving a truly gruesome mess. I wanted to see if there were any mice alive, so I went up to the grain bin and found two little mouse pups laying in a pile of corn. The poor things had gotten flushed out by the other mice, and were wiggling around among the kernels. I couldn't leave them there, so I've been taking care of them since Saturday. All has been well except for lately on of them has developed quite a worrisome bloat, while the other's skin looks too loose. I have been feeding them KMR formula diluted with about 2/3 water. They had been getting a little less than .5ml every two hours until I realized I may be over feeding them. Recently I have been giving the bloated one a few drops of mineral oil with each meal, as I had heard from around the web that it would help.

Belly massages have been frequent of coarse, but it is difficult to rub it's bum to rid it of waste, as that area is a little red and the mouse pup squeaks unhappily and squirms when I touch it. Both mouse pups are around 9-10 days of age (so almost ready to open their eyes). So, any advice as to what to do? Nothing I've done has helped much so far. I have Pedialyte, but I have no idea of the percentage I am supposed to add into the formula.

TL;DR Besides diluting formula and belly rubs, what are some ways to cure bloat in mouse pups?

nlawyer

Back to top Go down

Bloating In Mouse Pup Empty Re: Bloating In Mouse Pup

Post by Peachy on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 9:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. It's so good of you to take in those babies. Mouse Wave

Here's a link to a thread with lots of information for caring for wild mice. http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

This one has information on KMR for orphans, under the Hand Raising section. It's recommended to dilute the KMR twice the recommended amount on the container. http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t42-caring-for-orphaned-mice

For Pedialyte or Karo syrup/corn syrup, you dilute them with equal parts water. 1/2 Pedialyte, 1/2 water. If you use the corn syrup, you want to make sure it's hot water so it will dissolve, and then you can give it when it's cooled down a bit.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by nlawyer on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 10:09 pm

Thank you so much! I hope the little guy will get better with help from the information you gave me. You're a life saver! (Literally!) Very Happy

nlawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down