KMR Preparation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

KMR Preparation

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Does anyone know the best way to prepare and feed KMR for a mouse?

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: KMR Preparation

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:49 am

Well, I always purchase the cans of it so I don't have to mix anything up. But I use it full strength. So, you can prepare it as it describes on the packaging. The way I would give it to my critters is to soak a piece of bread in it and then offer it in a little dish like that. And it could be given in small amounts using the oral syringe. Is Mabel still eating and drinking? KMR is typically used for mice that are very sick but who need nutritional support until they can get to the vet and while they are getting better. But if she is still eating and drinking on her own, you don't need to give it to her.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:35 am

I just want to have a little on hand. I don't know why she's losing weight, so I want to be prepared. She is still eating, but I don't know for how much longer.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Norman's Mom on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:35 pm

It's one part KMR and twice the recommended water addition on the can.

Heat up the water in a microwave, then add the powder, and mix until dissolved. Feed warm, like a human-baby temperature-kind-of warm.

You can also place it in a shallow dish and let them lap it up. Be sure and wipe any you get on the mouse off right away - it can irritate skin badly.

Remove after 2 hours, or it will go bad.

You can keep the can of powder in the 'fridge - it will extend it's shelf life by 6 months. DON'T USE "HARTZ" brand.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks NM. That's how I've been doing it, so I'm glad to know I'm on the right track. And don't worry, I'm using PetAG, not Hartz.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:43 pm

On my can of PetAg KMR (powder), it says refrigerating the open can will keep it for up to 3 months - but freezing the open can will keep it for up to 6 months. Just wanted to mention it, in case it makes any difference.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 pm

I know, I remember reading it somewhere on TFM. I'm keeping it frozen. Right now, I'm keeping a tiny bit of KMR prepared for Mabel and mixing a new batch every day just in case I'm going to need it soon. I'm only mixing one teaspoon of the powder, so I'm going through it very slowly.

I actually have a question. You guys say the can will last for six months after opening if kept in the freezer. However, if the can's expiration date is sooner than that, I'm assuming I'll throw it out at the earlier date, right?

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Freezing negates any spoiling that would occur at warmer temps. You can freeze for the full six months.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Sweet! I'd hate to throw it away.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top