Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Can mice catch human colds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can mice catch human colds?

Post by Snootietoots on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm having trouble finding this out - is it possible a mouse can catch sickness from people? My whole family is sickly at the moment and I have just caught it as well. My mom is much better so would it be best for her to change his water and food instead, or am I fine?

Snootietoots
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can mice catch human colds?

Post by Peachy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:31 pm

I know there are a lot of conflicting answers to this, but the admin on the old forum always said mice couldn't catch things like colds from people. I've never gotten any of my mice sick, and they've never made me sick either, lol. I'd say it's okay to keep doing all your regular mouse stuff. Smile
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snootietoots on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Hmm, okay.. So I'll be cautious and try not to sneeze on him. Thank you very much!

Snootietoots
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VoidThoughts on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:38 am

As a rule of thumb you should probably wash your hands before handling your mouse's food and water anyway just for basic hygiene reasons.

I would not be surprised if your mouse could catch your cold. There's a reason that mice are so popular for medical studies and it's because their biology and genome is so similar to humans.

VoidThoughts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 am

Most of what I'm seeing suggests they can not catch a cold from us, though I haven't found a definite reliable source. But I think even if there is a chance, as long as you're practicing good hand washing habits regularly like you should - both before and after handling your mice or working in their enclosure - you shouldn't have to worry.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:10 pm

It's interesting how there's no definite answer. I've seen definitely not, not likely, and definitely yes. Here's a list of zoonotic diseases, the viruses most often credited to the common cold aren't listed:

Here's a couple more, just for fun...
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-zoonotic-diseases/list-of-zoonotic-diseases
http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/zoonotics/PocketPets.aspx

But I noticed that answers got a little more confusing when you changed your meaning of "zoonotic" from "diseases passed from animals to humans" to "diseases passed from humans to animals." Scratch I did see that most sources say that most of the viruses that cause a cold are species-specific, though.
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Most colds are viruses and viruses mutate. It's best to practice good infection control when handling pets. Wash your hands, cover your mouth when you sneeze, etc. Truth is most viruses are species specific until they aren't. Think of the bird flu or H1N1... i think it's best to always be careful.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top