New Female Trio - Appropriate Behavior to Build Trust?

Go down

New Female Trio - Appropriate Behavior to Build Trust?

Post by USFancy on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello everyone!

I just had a few questions regarding appropriate behavior in establishing trust and a bonding relationship with my new mice. First, ill tell you a little about myself as a mouse owner. I am fairly new to owning mice, we bought a male mouse 6 months ago for my daughter and I fell in love with how smart and personable they are. Over this time i began researching mice and found that they are "Social" creatures who prefer to live in societies. But of course we all know 2 males will fight, especially if I didn't get them from same litter. During these 6 months I also had the joy of building and redesigning the cage by adding on a bunch of tubing and toys (I am in my 3rd year going for engineering at USF University of South Florida so you can imagine I took off with this haha) Now, the cage became too big for one mouse so we gave the male to my niece and Friday night purchased 3 female "Fancy" mice from a very credible petsmart in a higher class area that only ever carried females for sale. I already had the cage cleaned out and set up for when we returned with the new additions. I just have a few questions for you all so I may establish a great bond with these girls.

1. First off, is it normal at first for 1-2 of them be a little aggressive? at first it was the biggest one but now she layed off after what I think was her showing who is boss. the middle one kind of picks on the little one from time to time.....no blood, bruises or pulled hair yet.

2. I read it is important to allow a few days before I start handling them, they seem pretty curious of me already but I will hold off. When I do begin this, should I try to hand tame them with treats or some other method?

3. How canI find local mouse breeders? I searched for a long time and I found nothing near me.

Thanks everyone, look forward to the feedback.
USFancy

Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Female Trio - Appropriate Behavior to Build Trust?

Post by Peachy on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Welcome! Mouse Wave

This link has some breeders listed... I don't know how many are active or actually breed mice, though. I can't recommend any groups, but you might have luck finding someone on a Facebook group maybe.
http://www.altpet.net/rodents/breeder.html

We usually don't recommend hand feeding new mice, but when you're ready to start taming, this link has some great information.
http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t8-taming-handling-mice

And last, while your mice are settling in to their new home (it can take a couple weeks) they'll likely be working out a hierarchy. You should separate if blood is drawn, but otherwise scuffles, squeaking, chasing, etc is all normal.
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by USFancy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Okay, so I just started to put my hand in the cage (slowly) 2 days ago. They do not want to approach my hand and when they do come up, they sniff and quickly run away. How long should I do this process because it seems like they are more afraid of me now then on the first day?
USFancy

Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Try moving them into the bathtub or a playbin and letting them explore you and/or your hand in there. This way they can't just hide or ignore you. If you can't scoop them up, let them crawl into a toilet paper roll or some sort of box that you can carry them in. When you put them back home leave yummy treats. It does take time though, and girls don't always love their owner the same way boys do. When I was taming one of my first boys with the leave-hand-in-cage method, it actually took a few weeks before he was really comfortable with me in there. Sniffing you is a good start, as small as it seems. Smile
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by USFancy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Okay I will try the bathtub technique. Ill let you know how it goes, Thanks.

If you want you can check out some pictures I just posted of them in the "pictures" forum tab.
USFancy

Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by USFancy on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Just double checking, should I do the bathtub routine around the same time EVERY day? The time they wake up, which is generally 8-9pm?
USFancy

Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Mice like schedules, so if you're able to, playing with them for at least 15-30 minutes at the same time everyday would be good.
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum