Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Paranoid!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paranoid!!!

Post by Andorrici on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:36 pm

So, I have 4 sweet babies that I love dearly.
1. I know three of my mice are definitely girls, they have nipples. (Male mice do not have nips.)
2. There is ONE mouse that I'm not sure about, it's a brown and white mouse, but younger than the rest. It was in a different cage from the rest.
3. I just don't know if it's a boy or girl because I've checked so many times! What to do...?
Here's the story part: I was at ACE hardware when I got my first mouse, then I came back to a different litter and got my second, and then I came back ANOTHER time and got my black mouse BUT my grandma requested they go look in the back for another mouse, with different colors. He came back with the younger mouse. Here's the point; would ACE hardware keep males and females together? Wouldn't they kill eachother, or mate? I KNOW my mice were not pregs when we got them, I'm sure of that. But I'm so confused.... Here's some things that might help you?
1. The younger mouse's, um... "butt part" looks like the rest but I'm still not sure.
2. I think THINK it has teats. Its hard to tell.
3. It curls up, plays, and eats and drinks normally with the rest.
4. None of them fight with eachother, I only hear a scarce squeak here and there at night. (Usually once a week I hear a small squeak, nothing special)
5. Would the mouse's "peanuts" be clearly visible at this age? (Its not too young, just younger)
I cant get pictures. Sorry Sad

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paranoid!!!

Post by MooMouse on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Do you know how old this mouse is? An approximation?

Try sexing it using this method:
http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t11-sexing-mice

It might be easier to tell using this method, and it gives you different age groups too.

MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Maybe try taking a photo of her underside for us?

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:32 pm

Putting it in a jar or glass cup and taking a picture from below works well.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:28 am

Were you able to try the tail holding thing like they show in the sexing pictures? If the problem is still that your parents don't want you to use anything from the kitchen, maybe you could find a cheap glass at a second hand store.

How long have you had the mice now?
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:24 am

abeona wrote:Were you able to try the tail holding thing like they show in the sexing pictures? If the problem is still that your parents don't want you to use anything from the kitchen, maybe you could find a cheap glass at a second hand store.

How long have you had the mice now?

Huh. I think I have the dates.
1. I tried holding the tail, but they are not happy at all about it. I'm very very gentle, and it seems they just want to explore and go fetch their food instead. They won't let me use their scruff to check for teats either.
2. My parents don't like them in general, they wouldn't take me for a glass most likely.
3. I have had them for a few weeks, maybe a month. (Sorry I'm bad about dates)

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:31 am

Do you have any clear container you could place the mouse in to get a picture from underneath? An old clean jar? a kritter keeper? a vase?

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:44 am

Your parents won't help you if you explain that you're trying to sex your mouse so you won't end up with babies? Scratch
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:57 am

abeona wrote:Your parents won't help you if you explain that you're trying to sex your mouse so you won't end up with babies? Scratch

Sometimes, they really get me confused. If my dad has been drinking (He's not an alchoholic just to say, I don't wanna make him look that bad)
He'll get angrier a little easier, and at night is the only time I can ask, which is when that takes place. My mom will tell me to go ask my dad, and it's an endless loop.

But I'll end this personal-ness here.
If I try to reason with them like that, most likely they'll get angry BUT I have an idea!
My grandma comes today, she'll probably help me Smile)

What I really need to know, though, is some of the features and personalities a boy mouse has that a female doesn't. As I stated in my original questions up there at the tip top ^^^^^^
Do male mice curl up with females? Are they more curious? Will the mouse testicles be very easy to spot at this age? I'd say it's not very young, but younger than my others.

It's the one that only it's butt is visible on my avatar.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:16 am

Oh good. I hope your grandma can help. Smile One other idea would be placing one end of an empty tank off of a table and trying to keep the mouse in that area for pictures.

Males will interact and snuggle with females, but you can't just guess at sex based on behavior or personalities. If you want to know the sex of your mouse, you need to sex it properly. Testicles should be visible around 4 weeks when they're relaxed, but not seeing them doesn't mean that the mouse is a girl.
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:16 am

Males can retract their testicles so sometimes they can be easy to miss, though it's usually in younger males that they're overlooked. Older males it is usually quite obvious.

Males also often have a much stronger odor.

Yes, a male will still snuggle with the other mice and generally act like any other mouse. They are more territorial though and often have a closer bond with their human - though that's usually because they need to be housed alone.

But if you're still not 100% sure after comparing to the pics in the link that was shared above, please try to post pictures so we can try to help.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:20 am

@CallaLily wrote:Males can retract their testicles so sometimes they can be easy to miss, though it's usually in younger males that they're overlooked. Older males it is usually quite obvious.

Males also often have a much stronger odor.

Yes, a male will still snuggle with the other mice and generally act like any other mouse. They are more territorial though and often have a closer bond with their human - though that's usually because they need to be housed alone.

:Dramatic Sigh:
That makes me a tad worried. I mean, none of them *love* to be handled yet, but it seems this younger one is more curious. Is that a sign...? They all smell the same...
Would the mouse's "peanuts" be visible
Worry I don't know how to phrase that one.
I cant find any teats.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:23 am

No nipples would mean definitely male .... unless you're just unable to see them through fur? As I said above, it is possible to overlook testicles as they can retract them. Though usually with older bucks it's super obvious.

I'm not sure it's been said but just in case, please separate this mouse from the others until you're 100% certain it's not a boy.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:26 am

@CallaLily wrote:No nipples would mean definitely male .... unless you're just unable to see them through fur?   As I said above, it is possible to overlook testicles as they can retract them. Though usually with older bucks it's super obvious.

I'm not sure it's been said but just in case, please separate this mouse from the others until you're 100% certain it's not a boy.

It's belly fur is thick, and I have terrible lighting. I just can't see them very well maybe.
IF it's a boy, which pet store would take it back? It makes me sick to think how horrible that is, to give it back, but my parents would literally take it outside and let it free, and we have many cats.
I don't know what I should use to separate it.
side questions;
1. Would ace hardware keep males and females together in the first place???
2. When can a male mice mate? Its younger than the ones I'm SURE are girls....

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:34 am

Hopefully your grandmother can help you compare to the pictures or get a picture to post here. You can't go by personality.

You may be able to return him to the store you purchased him from or contact a local rescue. Storage bins can be converted into a cheap mouse house.  

I don't know for certain how Ace houses their mice. I've never seen mice at the ones near me. But I can say it is very common for pet stores to accidentally mix sexes, so it is definitely a possibility Ace could have too.

Edit: missed your second question. Between 4-8 weeks, according to this article: http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t5-house-mouse-general-facts.

Last edited by CallaLily on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top