Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

About male buddies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

About male buddies

Post by Misha_usa on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi again,

Today I got to the pet store to buy a new water bottle as the one I had is constantly dripping and it causes the platform on the cage to become somewhat a pool...
Whatever: I asked for a smaller one too since Nimh is currently living alone as I'm 80% sure now he's a boy (not experienced at all at sexing mice, my bad), to which the shop assistant asked me ¿Why you keeping him alone?. She got a little intense, as if I was torturing him or something by isolating him, so now I'm kinda afraid I may be doing so unvoluntarily?

This surprised me quite a lot, as I learned male mice were NOT able to peacefully live together without fighting over territory issues.
I'm pretty sure I saw a thread talking about males living together, but I was looking for it today for a wile and couldn't find it at all, so I'm kinda afraid I allucinated xD

Thing is, I'd gladly get him a buddy if possible, but not if doing so would risk them hurting eachoher... That's why I got so surprised by the shop assistant telling me to do so.
She assured me all "tail-rodents", such as rats, mice, gerbils... are community beings, which I already knew but not about malexmale possibility. The girl told me she had rats so "she knew", so I wonder if maybe that's ok for rats, but not for mice? As if they were less territorial?
Again, when I had gerbils in the past I housed two males together without a problem at all, but their behaviour was nothing alike Nimh's...

P.D.- I didn't buy the water bottle either, because the shop assistant also told me it was "impossible" for it to be dripping if not because I was closing it wrong. So, I have come back home empty-handed and checked it again, screwed it tightly and checked again, and it keeps dripping like crazy. Maybe I should take this as an indicator of hom much she really knew? Rolling Eyes
Misha_usa
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: About male buddies

Post by River on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Male rats can live together. Male mice cannot. They're entirely different animals...male mice should always be alone. She was misinformed, and spreading harmful info.

Water bottles can leak even if closed tightly. Sounds like this shop employee new next to nothing.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha_usa on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:45 pm

I found the thread now! Embarassed
So, I got it: no males together! But still I'm so shocked by the shop assistant's advice... you'll totally know better than me: are rats ok with it then? Just out of curiosity now.

This thread can be closed if judged necessary...

Edit: Thanks River, I was just typing at the same time you were... Yeah, I'm afraid that may be the case.
Misha_usa
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:54 pm

You are correct. Male mice are highly territorial and living with other males usually results in fighting, if not death. For this reason, males are usually kept alone.

Male rats are more like gerbils, in that they can happily live with other male rats.

Pet shop assistants are often terrible for giving misinformation. *sigh*

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm glad you came looking for more accurate information! It's a shame really how much bad information gets thrown around by pet store employees. Always double check. It's sickening to think about how many animals are cared for incorrectly due to their ignorance. Sad

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Dreaming

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:55 pm

Shame how their boss or someone probably didn't even tell them anything or misinformed them. I went to Petco once to get a couple cory cats to put with my most docile betta. The man, which I recognized as an employee from Kohl's next door, refused to let e buy a group of them because he said "beta's can't live with other fish" and that was that. Afterwards I went to PetSmart just across the road and got their cories. Also a shame that people trust pet store employees so much to give them the right information.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha_usa on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:32 pm

@EverythingAnimal wrote:Shame how their boss or someone probably didn't even tell them anything or misinformed them. I went to Petco once to get a couple cory cats to put with my most docile betta. The man, which I recognized as an employee from Kohl's next door, refused to let e buy a group of them because he said "beta's can't live with other fish" and that was that. Afterwards I went to PetSmart just across the road and got their cories. Also a shame that people trust pet store employees so much to give them the right information.

Yeah, I suppose it's the "problem" of assuming they know what they're talking about.. which they must do, actually. Actual shame is that owners are hiring employees who don't really know the product they're working with, being it pets or whatever. When you go to a store you're supposed to pay not just for the product you're purchasing but also for a reliable advise from the person you're getting it from. If the owner hires unqualified people he must at least provide them proper formation to correctly do their job...even more when the "product" at hand are living beings.

Just to say: this girl was the one placed at the till, so maybe she wasn't meant to give advice at all (?). But when I was looking for the smaller water bottle I asked another girl, who was, indeed, supposed to advise customers on their purchases, as I couldn't find the product at all. All bottles were too big, and also its tube seemed too thick for a mouse cage... but she kinda shushed me away and pushed me to take a wrong bottle (the most expensive one, also... casuality?) even when I tried to explain her what I really needed, but she showed no interest at all.
At least the one at the till showed me the right bottle to take, which was not at sight, who knows why... even when she told me later not to take any xD

I'm not really looking forward to step there again seeing how the outcome has been, but there aren't that many pet shops in my area so knowing they have the right product I'll provably need to come back to take it. If there was the same girl attenting the till I'll explain her the [i]not male buddyness[i/] issue, just in case, even if I end up looking a little pretentious:(

Last edited by Misha_usa on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Misha_usa
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Good luck
CanadianExport
Sr Member